Monday, June 9, 2014

Getting ready for MGB trip (French Lick, Indiana)


Preparing for any trip in any vehicle takes PREPERATION!... PLANNING! ... MONEY for PARTS! ... and TIME!  Ignoring any of these steps could cost lots of extra time and money while on the trip.  I go through our 1979 MGB from back to front, test drive, pack and enjoy the trip.

I check all the nuts, bolts and bits (parts) I can access.  Replace any parts that appear faulty.  I change all fluids and spark plugs.  
Replacing the solenoid


I took the MGB out for a test drive and noticed the overdrive was not shifting properly (it acted funky in the past)!  Found the overdrive solenoid to be at fault!  It is Saturday.....We are leaving Thursday.....I have to order the part.....(Monday).  If in stock I COULD get it by (Tuesday), if in.....Virginia?.....Next Day Air.....$$$.
Working steady and fast

I called a few club members on the off chance they had the part.  Paul Cousins had a complete overdrive transmission with the proper solenoid and said come and get it.  (MY HERO) ( A friend in need is a friend indeed!)  Thank You Paul and Kimi!

This morning...(Sunday) I retrieved the solenoid, installed it, test drove the car and now feel she is ready!  I will detail the MGB (makes it easier to get dirty on the trip).  We are now ready to go once the final luggage is loaded.
 
When planning a trip in your British Marque,
1---If you can           Service your vehicle!    Think Safety
2---If you can’t       Take it to a service department for a once over.
3---Call around to the club members and see if you can get some help!    List serve

As Debbie Hawkins says  SAFETY FAST!
P.S.    Pat says she travels with her Mechanic?
by:  Ron Wharton (of many hats - Driver, Mechanic, Sightseer, Tour Guide, Navigator, Fueler)

No comments:

Post a Comment